Wellbeing Wonderland

01 December, 2006

Acknowledging Professional Networks

I've been surfing blogs lately, following one link to another, when I stumbled across a post entitled The Blame Game on The Strength of Weak Ties by David. After reading this I began to think about my Learning Support Group (the staff in my Performance Management group) and the T & D record sheets I have been signing off in lieu of week 41 (which staff will not have to work if they have accumulated at least 38 hours of T&D hours throughout the year). And it occurred to me that of all the professional development and training I have signed off none of it was online training or development in Web 2.0 tools. Many staff claimed "professional reading" as part of their hours and I question how much of that was online reading.

I, myself, did claim hours for online training this year. I didn't, however, claim any professional reading, one because I didn't need to and two because it didn't occur to me that I could claim my blog or the reading associated with my professional network online. II know the hours I have spent developing my blog, reading other people's blogs and the many RSS feeds through my bloglines accounts along with creating a professional network online are well in excess of 38 hours.

As a site in a regional area it is logical for staff to develop professional networks online. There is no need for them to be isolated in their practice simply because of their geographical location. I would like see our site promote blogs and social networks as a legitimate training and development activity, and will do this with my Learning Support Group next year. I wonder what would happen if we were to encourage that a percentage of T & D hours claimed for professional reading involve reading blogs or online content?

3 Comments:

  • Lynette: I would think that encouraging developing a personal learning network by using RSS, blogs, aggregators, etc. would be a very critical step in promoting professional development. Personally, in the two years I have been involved with these tools and my network, I have learned more about technology, people, and writing than I have in the previous ten. Having dedicated the time every day to reading my aggregator, I can truly say that my professional growth occurs every day. Good luck with your efforts. David

    By Blogger David, at 10 December, 2006  

  • Thanks for the encouragement.

    By Blogger Lynette, at 12 December, 2006  

  • I'm in agreement with David. Developing an online network of professionals has meant that I find very little to nothing in the way of new ideas in the traditional conferences and workshops that I go to. I do value them for the networking and sometimes for the quality of the coffee but basically that's about it. I do question the conference fee value of these traditional 'meetings' when I compare the value that I get freely via my online professional network.

    Go for it Lynette. Encourage the online collaboration and sharing and let me help you if I can.

    By Blogger Wara, at 19 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home